The many adorable faces of my little lamb. <3
Living in Colorado the last few days has been interesting. Although, I was so cooped up in the house with Zoe and Marco that I didn't realize how bad the flooding was until we accidentally put the news on. Besides the one outing I did yesterday, we haven't been affected by the floods at all which I am so grateful for. Given Zoe and I's compromised immune systems right now it's best that we were hunkered down safe and sound.
This week has been interesting...we thought we were getting on somewhat of a routine but then the curve ball.
My aunt sent this cute Costa Rican outfit for Zoe a couple months before she passed away. I know she was very excited for our future and would have loved to meet her.
Stuff no one tells you #1:
Newborns can be born with or sprout a tooth or two within the first few weeks of life. Zoe was one of these very lucky babies. While they aren't breaking through completely you can see little white dots on her gums and if felt they are definitely teeth. We were told teeth pain and growth come and go so thankfully she won't be "teething" for the next year but the routine we thought we had going has been interrupted and she's back to being up at night or at least sporadic fussy sleeping at night and passed out during the day from being so tired at night.
She also roots around like she is hungry but after warming 2-3 oz of milk we come to find that she's not hungry (just wasteful) and simply wants to suck on her hand, my finger, anything...this combined with the teething adventure we've introduced a pacifier to sooth her especially in the few minutes right before she falls asleep. We were worried about "nipple confusion" as all the articles and advice have taught us but it hasn't seemed to confuse her one bit. She still wants to latch to me, will take a bottle and seems to know the difference between the bottle and pacifier.
She tries to hold her bottle during feedings. Such a little independent mini-me. heehee
Which leads me to Stuff no one tells you #2:
Even with pretty consistent pumping or feeding my milk supply seems to have gone down within the last 24hours. I was pumping almost 8oz total and now I'm finding it's gone down from 4oz to 3oz...I am now trying to pump more frequently to build it back up but am only at 2oz total each time. The articles say your body knows what your baby needs and will produce it...LIES! But because of this we will be removing formula for the next few days (we used it once at night so she'd sleep more soundly.) I found myself feeling pretty defeated last night with this milk production annoyance but am hoping with some of the things I'm trying that it will go back up. I will not be happy if we have to go to only formula before the 1 month mark plus I wanted to breast feed longer if possible. But just like pregnancy, every woman is different and I have to accept whatever comes and know Zoe will be happy and healthy regardless. Plenty of children are raised on formula and are just fine.
Besides that Zoe is growing and doing so well. She smiles in her sleep and we find that she's awake for longer periods of time now. She loves staring up at the ceiling fans and recognizes our voices. :)
Dr Says:
We went for her 2 week follow up appointment. Zoe now weighs 7lbs 14oz which the doctor was very happy about. We can now let her sleep for longer periods of time (if she will stay asleep) since she's gaining weight beautifully. Dr had no complaints or issues with anything. She said whatever we're doing keep doing it which made us feel good. :) She had to do her newborn screening again (heel prick) and get her Hep B shot. She didn't appreciate the pain but recovered quickly and has since forgotten about it. Next appointment is at 2months which will include her first round of immunizations.
As for Me:
I was able to put my wedding rings back on again this week. They are a little snug but not cutting off any circulations so I'll take it. My shoes fit me again and my pre-pregnancy jeans almost fit again...I have about an inch or two left to lose from my butt and hips to get them to button again. In time! Marco tells me daily he can see changes and reassures me that I'm looking good. He was glad to see me back in my Converse and feeling more like myself again.
I developed a weird pregnancy rash called PUPPPS about 3 weeks before I had Zoe. It started on my stomach and found its way to my arms and legs. Luckily that is almost gone and not nearly as itchy as it was. I'm healing all over and feeling better everyday. I can tell my immune system is still low and perhaps a little anemic but I'm doing my best to get my sleep in and taking it easy. With Marco working long days and nights right now I take the night shifts, he gets up with her in the morning while I sleep a little longer and then I take her on for the rest of the day but calling on Marco for help when needed. While she's asleep I take care of house chores and shower. During the weekend Marco takes night duties calling on me for help when needed. Lazy weekend days have been nice - we just all sleep on the couch in between football games and try to get out for a walk or a car ride!
While our lives have changes over night and so drastically we feel so blessed and honored to be her parents. We look forward to everyday seeing her personality develop and can't wait to guide her through her beautiful life. I pray nightly for her protection and that she lives a long, healthy and joyful life.




No comments:
Post a Comment